Saturday, July 10, 2010

Black Bean Brownies


Madeline and I in Venice 2004



This morning I awoke to my own laughter.  It shook me awake while I rolled away from it, desiring to stay engaged in my funny dream.  Twice this happened, and when Ryan asked me what was so funny, I tried to roll away from his question as well.

Later, as I was mowing the lawn, thinking about my dream, it wasn't nearly as funny as what Ryan suspected me of laughing about- the black bean brownies I made last night.   Everyone was looking forward to the brownies.  The kids had gone to the Mayo child care for the day, and I was so refreshed, I told everyone I would make brownies while we watched a Ken Burns documentary on Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. I told Ryan as well that I would make some extra to take to his work party the following day.  As I was making the brownies, I decided to blend some black beans and add them to the batter, in order to add some protein and nutrition.  I had to be a little sneaky because all five of my family members are limited in adventurousness when it comes to healthful desserts.  

I succeeded in mixing two cans of black beans in with two boxed brownie mixes, and Ella, the bowl cleaner, couldn't tell a difference.  We watched the movie, the girls and I ate our brownies while Ryan put Max in bed.   He wanted to savor his brownie in all its fatty glory (little did he know).  Finally, he got a brownie, and took a big bite.  I saw his face as he processed the slightly less sweet taste, then he placed the rest of the brownie down, "I think I"ll wait until tomorrow to eat this since it's soooooo late", he said.  He walked around the kitchen for about five minutes, with what seemed a confused look on his face, and finally in a befuddled voice asked me if I had noticed something different about the brownies this time. Ohh, how carefully he asked this, not wanting to insult or offend my cooking, but not quite understanding why the brownies tasted different that he was expecting, and not wanting to take a mistake to his work party.  I debated how much truth to divulge, knowing that a certain amount of trust in my cooking for be lost forever.  (after all, if you put black beans in brownies, what else are you willing to do).  "Well", I told him, "I just put a few black beans them, could that be it?"  He stared in wide eyed disbelief, "Black beans?".  What more could he say, he could think of nothing except an unequivocal "Gross".

That commentary put me to sleep laughing last night, and must have fed my dream.  It certainly kept me entertained as I mowed the lawn for 1.5 hours this morning.  


2 comments:

  1. I was thinking that maybe you made complete black bean brownies because I do have a recipe for them. It comes from the foods storage cook book and is one of the way's to use your black beans. Needless to say I've never tried them, but have been tempted.

    ReplyDelete