Sunday, March 6, 2011




Madeline and Ella were invited to participate in an honors music recital.  The best part was that their dad got to play the piano accompaniment for them.  The worst part is that I was left with Max and Sam and the video camera.  Sam was pretty true to form.  We sat down and he immediately started the, "Let me go" grunt.

Next, I took him to the foyer, and walked him around, where he instantly spotted the dessert table, and started lobbying for a "cooie, mommy".   I took a cookie and decided to give him piece by piece slowly.  He was highly offended by my idea, and and started grunting and kicking.  He even refused to take the 95% of the whole cookies remaining.

I put him on the ground to cool down, and he walked over to the glass doors and started head banging it, which hurt, so then he started crying.  He was still offended at me.  I took him outside in the 25 degree weather, and he lay on the cement and kicked and hit it for all he was worth.  I could stand to watch, so I walked inside.   Slowly, he came crying after me.  In the foyer, he agreed to take the rest of the cookie.

When it was close to time for Madeline and Ella to play, I got another cookie for Sam, and holding him, I held the camera in the other hand.  This lasted for Madeline's song, and shortly after Ella started playing, he finished his cookie and wanted down, which is not an acceptable option.  A friend saw me struggling to video tape and keep Sam afloat, and took Sam for the blessed remaining of the song.

Amazingly, three other people came to the back and told me what a cute baby he was, and he smiled, went to them, lay on the shoulder and cuddled as long as they would hold him.  Not for me though.  I think I"m being had by an almost 18 month old.




Madeline and Ella both played wonderfully.  They have worked really hard in the past year since the started violin, and they are proud of the results.  I had a really hard time when they started with the commitment that was involved on my end to practice with them every day.  I had to become more disciplined and organized, as well as enthusiastic and inventive to encourage them to continue practicing every day.  Ella in particular loves a motivator.  As we were preparing for this song, I would take a tbsp of hot chocolate, and when Ella played loud and clear, I would sprinkle it in a cup.  At the end, she would be able to drink her hot chocolate.

I've noticed that both girls are learning many values in addition to violin as they continue to practice and work hard.  I learned to work hard because I had 11 younger siblings when I was at home, and because I had to pay for college, mission, clothes, pretty much everything.  My children won't have either experience, so I'm grateful to see them developing this important characteristic.

Now, if only I could figure something out with Sam.

3 comments:

  1. What you aren't going to make your kids pay for things! I can't wait to tell my kids sob stories when they ask me for money--hehe. How come I can't get the videos to work, they just say they are private?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam sounds so much like Cooper. The little devils that you can't do a darn thing with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the girls are beautiful. I can't get the videos to work either.

    ReplyDelete