Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Recent Violin Recitals

I read recently in, "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee", about an old philosophy that good parenting requires 1/3 love, 1/3 discipline, and 1/3 sitting on your hands.  As I like concrete ideas, I immediately applied this to violin practice time.  I like efficiencies, and am someone who will often take little things for-granted.  I will often not notice the efforts my children make.  Now, when I sit with them to practice violin, I spend about 10 minutes of time marveling at what the child has accomplished, and pay a sincere compliment, allowing time to show me new songs they've learned or new ideas they want to try.  I spend about 10 minutes of time trying to learn something new, or improve technique.  For the 10 minutes of sitting on my hands, I will leave the room, while they finish practicing.

In an effort to remind myself to not take for-granted, I make a conscious effort every morning and every night to hug and kiss each child, and comment on my gratefulness for their existence.


Madeline playing "Happy Farmer" .  



Ella playing "Minuet 2"


No comments:

Post a Comment