Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Getting Sold on St. Patrick's Day

I had no intention of celebrating St. Patrick's Day.  I assumed the green cupcakes I made was celebratory enough.  In fact, I knew nothing of the holiday other than there is usually a lot of green in the stores.  However, Ella and Madeline came across a St. Patrick's Day enthusiast at a childcare while Ryan and I played tennis, and came home quite excited.
"Mom!" Ella said, "Did you know if you hang your shoes the night before Saint Patricks day, they will be filled with gold?"
No, I thought, I didn't know that, but this sounds suspiciously like you're trying to talk me into celebrating this holiday.
"Can we look on the internet to find out how to make a leprechaun trap?"  Madeline asked.  


In the end, this is the trap they came up with.  The hammer-like thing sticking up is an arrow, pointing the leprechaun to the underneath section of the triangle, where he will be lured by the gold coins and fall into a hidden hole in the middle of the covered portion.
Just to be sure though, both girls insisted they would sleep in the living room to make sure the leprechaun didn't get away once it was trapped.
Grandma and Grandpa Swapp were swayed by their creativity or their pure belief, and ensured their shoes had one dollar come morning.  As for the leprechaun, Ella asked me last thing before she went to sleep whether I thought her trap would catch the sneaky fairy.  I could think of no way to trap anything resembling a leprechaun and keep it, so we left the trap empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment