Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gabby

       Gabby is the arch nemesis of any parent.  She is the oldest child in our culdesac at age 9, and is tall for her age, and very smart.  She's the girl who would crush a child's faith in the Easter Bunny with brutal honesty, but apparently still believes, as my children told me she wonders why it's a bunny and not a rabbit.  She looks me in the eye as if she's calling my bluff and teaches my children how to do the same.   She is a natural born leader- she can convince all the neighborhood kids to jump into prickly patches, and off ledges to initiate into this nebulous "fun club".  Gabby's persona spurns novellas and magic marker masterpieces in our household.


Recent conversation with Ella as we were brushing teeth to go to bed:

Ella:  "Mom, you know when you called us in tonight when we were playing out in the field with Gabby?"

Me:  "Yes, I remember"

Ella:  "Well, Me and Madeline pretended not to hear you.  Gabby gave us that idea.  She said she does it all the time, and SHE DOESN'T EVEN GET INTO TROUBLE."

Me:  "Yes, it seemed like I had to call you three times before you came in, I wondered about that."


And a picture of a note Madeline wrote last night.


                                  Side A (Bode is Gabby's brother)

                                  Side B (notice the hand-drawn lines)

3 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. I love the note!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny story. I had an older friend who would "teach" me interesting things as well. I didn't know you has this blog Jenn, very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! go Madeline, way to bribe.

    ReplyDelete