Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Change of Tides


These are rather random photos, but do represent change for us.  After 10 years, and many parties, our ice cream maker only works with forcible action.

  Making ice cream was one of the few times we had sweets when I was growing up.  Sweets were hard to come by in a house that used only wheat flour, honey as a sweetener, and absolutely no store bought treats. Once a year, my parents would say that if we picked enough wild blueberries on the hills above our house (spanning several acres), then dad would make ice cream.  My brothers and sisters and I would spend several hours picking berries, with the taste of blueberry ice cream just hours away.   In my mind, the ice cream was as delicious as anything on earth, though now I wonder how dad did it with honey and powdered milk (maybe my parents splurged and bought cream and milk, but there was no sugar).  We also had a hand crank ice cream maker, so we older kids had to take turns cranking until the ice cream was hard.

Ryan and I bought an ice cream maker when we were married and several times a summer we would make ice cream and invite friends over.  Our kids loved this tradition.  However, when we tried making ice cream this year, we found that the only way the crank would turn was if we put heavy weight on it.  We sadly bid our ice cream maker adieu, and haven't bought a replacement yet.  The idea of moving it in two years with all our belongings makes me hesitate.

And here's another change.  When Madeline left for school a couple of weeks ago, she asked if she could take some rubber bands because she and her friends like to do their hair at school.  I sent her with a little baggie, and the lovely lady came home with this hairdo.  I am realizing that Madeline is growing up.   The changes are fun but also representative of how stages come and go, and when they're gone, they don't come back.  I am really enjoying seeing her grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment