Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas gratitude

 Yesterday, as I drove to the YMCA, I was reminded of my humanity.  I got off on 2nd str SW. It was two days after a blizzard, so the roads were very icy and slushy.  As I drove off the exit up the ramp, I saw a man standing in the cold, begging.  Begging hasn't looked the same to me since I read Carol Shields book, Unless, which so vividly illustrates that each beggar is a human who used to live similar to the way I live.  


I checked first to make sure he had on hat, gloves, boots and snowpants, just as I inventory my children in the morning before they leave.  He was barely suitable to be outside, he rubbed his gloved hands together to keep friction going, and to stay warm.  


I had a red light, and impulsively tore open my bag of oranges and bag of apples in my front seat.  They were there because I was going to a friends house for lunch after the gym.  As I gathered an orange and apple, I thought that he needed to have some carbs as well, as saw a snack bag of animal crackers I'd packed for Sam and Max.  I decided the homeless man needed them more.


  I threw my car into park and just as impulsively ran across a lane, covered with snow and ice to hand him the food.  I was afriad of being shunned, weary with the assumption that "bums" only want money for alcohol and drugs.  He toke my offering, and held out his arm to steady me as I ran over some ice.  "You didn't have to get out Ma'am", he said.  I felt the awkward lump in my throat that prevented me from speaking for a few moments, then I said, "Take care of yourself, Merry Christmas".  He stuffed the fruit and crackers into various pockets and Thanked me, and I ran back to my car. 


 I was then betrayed by the same emotions that overtake me every time I see a child who is separated from their parents and looking around with fear for a familiar face.  I turned away from him so I could compose myself.  I turned to him as the light turned green and I drove away, and saw he was waving to me, as if we were friends who had reconnected.  I waved back and as I drove away, I thought of all the questions that I wanted to ask him:  Do you have a warm place to sleep at night, Do you have warm meals to eat? Do you feel like there are still people who care about you.   These are all questions that have come to me by virtue of being a mother, by virtue of thinking about my children's emotional and physical needs, and then remembering that we are all God's children. It's only myself who can treat other people like they are beloved children of God.
I have recently heard an increase in concern from knowledgeable parties about the rising number of hungry kids and homeless families.  We are grateful for the organizations that provide hot meals and a warm place to sleep at night.  Perhaps these are the simple luxuries that remind the homeless that they are human and connected to our community.  This reminder can be a solid foundation against a total sense of isolation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment